Lets talk homemade breakfast versus ‘to-go’. We all know it’s better to make things at home, but how much healthier is it really? If you only look at calories, 410 vs 328 is less than 100 calorie difference! And when getting ready for work in the morning, odds are, the easiest option wins. 82 calories sounds like NBD at that moment, but is it? Decide for yourself, based on the northeast’s beloved Wawa Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sizzli versus my own “Bigg Egg n Turkey Bacon Breakfast” (descriptive, isn’t it?).
Homemade Bigg Egg n Turkey Bacon Breakfast
1 slice of Trader Joe High Fiber Sprouted Bread
4 Egg Whites
2 Large Eggs
2 slices Butterball Fully Cooked Turkey Bacon
Wawa Sizzli Bacon, Egg, and Cheese
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Sizzli: SIZZLI BAGEL (BLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: YELLOW CORN MEAL, SUGAR, SALT, YEAST, DRIED MOLASSES, GUAR GUM, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, ENZYMES, SOYBEAN OIL, ASCORBIC ACID), SCRAMBLED EGG PATTY (WHOLE EGGS, WHOLE MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, XANTHAN GUM, CITRIC ACID, SOY LECITHIN), BACON (CURED WITH WATER, SALT, SUGAR, SMOKE FLAVORING, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE), REDUCED SODIUM AMERICAN CHEESE MILK, WATER, CREAM, CHEESE CULTURE, SODIUM CITRATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF CITRIC ACID, COLOR ADDED, ENZYMES, MILKFAT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPATE, SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVE) SOY LECITHIN, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE..
Moral of the story?
Marlton Harvest Fest was Saturday and this is where I discovered Cheyenne’s Market. I bought 2 sweet potatoes, 5 apples, and a squash for $5… The apples alone could have been $5 at the grocery store! Can’t believe I never knew about Cheyenne and her stand.
Anywho, that’s what inspired the squash recipe….
– Chicken sausage: grilled and chopped
*I bought spinach & feta from Rastelli’s
Meat Shop and the flavor (vs plain) certainly made a huge difference in the end
– Zuchinni: (1/4) diced
– Squash: halved and scooped
– Bruschetta: bought a small, pre-made container also from Rastelli’s
– Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Spoon bruschetta and zuchinni into squash halves, filling approx 1/3 of the way
3. Drizzle oil over top of each
4. Roast for 45 minutes
5. Remove from oven and fill squash the rest of the way with sausage, bruschetta, and zuchinni
6. Drizzle EVOO over top
7. Bake in oven for additional 40 minutes
I was actually sad for my last bite of this guy today 😦
Bruschetta Turkey Meatballs?
Naturally, I believe the concept is great, but my execution left taste to be desired. If I knew where I went wrong, I’d share with you. But in any case… You know what came out super yummy?
Stuffed Breakfast Peppers- Egg White, Chicken Sausage, and Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bring pot of water to a boil
- Core peppers and drop in water for a few minutes to soften
- Chop chicken sausage, add to egg whites, and scramble in skillet (until almost done)
- Place peppers on baking sheet and divide egg scramble into each pepper
- I used 1/2 of 1 slice of cheese per 1/2 of pepper, which seemed to fit just right
- Bake until cheese melts; took approximately 16 minutes for me… i think
– Chicken Broth (approx. 15oz)
– Can of diced tomatoes (diced, no salt added)
– Package of chicken sausage
– 1 eggplant
– 1/2 package of baby bella mushrooms
– 1 jar roasted red peppers
– 1 bag of chopped kale
– 1T olive oil
*Can ALL be found at Trader Joe’s, my homeland ❤ . Also, the inspiration for this stemmed from a similar recipe using white beans. I like them but didn’t want to use beans and want to increase my veggie intake. That recipe may be easier (less ingredients) for you, if you’d like to see it, check it out on RealSimple.
1. Heat oil in large saucepan/pot whatever you would make soup/meatballs in
2. Cook sausage until browned
3. Add in tomatoes, chicken broth, red peppers, mushrooms, and eggplant bring to boil then drop to simmer
4. Fold in kale, until all has cooked/wilted into stew
This was one of my easiest, quickest meal preps. Who doesn’t love that?
Makes 5 servings… I got 5 lunches, you may get 1 meal for the family. Either way, Yum!