I wanted a low-carb soup that involved pumpkin and/or chicken sausage.
I found the following Food.com recipe and modified it from there…
- 1 (12 ounce) package Chicken Sausage – Trader Joe’s Garlic brought more flavor to the pot
- 1 package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4C (*low sodium*) Chicken Broth
- 2T Curry Powder *Used this instead of other spices such as garlic or onion
- 3/4C Coconut Milk (light) *Found at Trader Joe’s to replace heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
Dice and brown sausage, then add mushrooms and sauté.
Add pumpkin and mix well.
Stir in broth and mix well.
Simmer 20-30 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk, water, and curry powder*
Simmer on low another 10-15 minutes. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.*Curry powder is not overwhelming in final product. It is $1.99 at Trader Joe’s and worth a try to change the flavor profile of the soup. I was trying to change it up from your typical Italian spices for this one. I dare ya! 🙂